Monolith Productions, a division of WB Games and the developers of Middle Earth: Shadow of War, are looking for an experienced and highly skilled writer to join our Narrative team and contribute to the development of our next project. The ideal candidate has a passion for creating player-driven stories and is a nimble thinker and problem-solver. You have exceptional dialogue writing skills and are able to create emotionally engaging moments while thinking in terms of storytelling systems. You have a deep understanding of storytelling principles and conventions, and are excited to innovate.
- Work independently and write a high volume of quality dialogue that is voice-driven, engaging, and tonally consistent with our world.
- Design, write, and implement systemic and scripted dialogue and in-game text content throughout the game.
- Collaborate closely with the Lead Narrative Designer and other writers, mission designers, the audio team, and multiple other disciplines to craft dramatically compelling characters and stories.
- Identify problems in procedural narrative systems, propose creative solutions, and work with relevant stakeholders to implement them.
- Remain flexible and be able to positively and creatively adapt when the needs of the game change.
- Possess a deep literacy in games, film, literature, and television, and a love of fantasy and science fiction genres.
- Integrate feedback from development team members and iterate on material, working collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Act as the primary point of contact for external contract writers, rewriting and polishing dialogue where necessary.
What do we require from you?
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in English or similar major, or equivalent game writing experience.
- At least 4-5 years of game writing experience with superior work on dialogue, characters, UI, and in-game text.
- Game writing experience working on site with the development team. Demonstrated ability to write procedural content.
- Passion for new ways to tell stories and embrace what makes storytelling in games so unique: player choice.
- A solid understanding of tone, character, and perspective.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of writers, but also to advocate for (and speak coherently about) story with the wider team.
- Creative powerhouse who is able to generate ideas and effectively execute upon them.
- Strong skills and passion for character creation and world building.
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling.
- Narrative design experience, especially with procedural narrative.
- Experience working with actors and voice directors.
- Published works of fiction, produced screenplays, stage plays, comics, or short films.
To apply, please submit a short cover letter, resume, and some writing samples. Writing samples should lean toward those that have been produced, but primarily we’d like to see your best work. This should include two or three scenes, examples of procedural writing, and some prose, whether that’s fiction, appendices, or tutorials.
Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.