Monolith Productions, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks an Advanced Software Engineer to join the engineering team behind the award-winning Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and its sequel Middle-earth: Shadow of War, in creating game systems for exciting, cutting-edge action games.
To succeed and thrive in this role a strong candidate would have a passion for gameplay systems like AI, combat, animation, online-connectivity, player controls, or progression. At the advanced level candidates are expected to be experts in one or more of these systems as well as having a desire to provide guidance to less experienced engineering peers.
As a member of our studio's Game Engineering team you will work closely with engineers, designers, and artists to develop game-play for our next triple-A title. Your domain will span as much of the codebase as your skills and interests dictate, as you design and implement extensions to existing systems and pivotal new game systems to meet the needs of our talented in-house team of content developers.
- Design, author, maintain and document robust and highly optimized systems that meet all design, technical and schedule requirements.
- Work closely with QA and your technical leadership to ensure the stability and accuracy of your systems by identifying, communicating and resolving defects.
- Author, review and provide feedback on technical and end-user documentation of your systems.
- Collaborate with technical leadership and other engineers to help establish overall technical design and architecture.
- Collaborate with Lead Engineer, Technical Art and Game Engineers to identify systems in need of optimization or replacement and on proposals of exciting new graphics technologies.
- Work closely with the production staff in building and maintaining realistic schedules and identifying dependencies; coordinate with QA and leads to ensure successful roll out of new features to the team and establish testing and maintenance of systems.
- Review the work of other engineers and mentor them to improve their knowledge and skills.
What do we require from you?
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 8+ years professional C/C++ programming.
- Experience developing complex systems for a published game.
- Designed and implemented major game systems for a published game (preferred).
- Experience developing for major consoles (PS4, Xbox One).
- Worked on multi-year, large-scale production game title from concept to ship (preferred).
- Experience developing first or third person action games (preferred).
- Experience architecting large, robust systems utilizing pragmatic solutions.
- Expert level knowledge of 3D math (preferred).
- A deep understanding of the game development process and workflows of various disciplines.
- Ability to collaborate with engineers and content creators to develop robust and fun game-play.
- Ability to easily communicate technical topics with both engineers and non-technical people alike
- Ability to openly discuss and review technical proposals, requirements, designs, algorithms, source code, and reference documents with engineers, content creators and managers.
- Microsoft Visual C++ development environment.
- Creative, focused, results-oriented, self-motivated, resourceful problem-solver with excellent debugging skills.
- Ability to work well in a team development environment with strong communication skills.
- Strong desire to build industry-leading game systems.